Monday, May 20, 2013

New Experience


I have these moments when I think I cannot, cannot change something,cannot do something, cannot say something.

William invited me to go with him on a business trip, a rarity in his profession, and at first, I said no. Really I said no because I have never done something like that. When he has gone away before, I just stayed home and did whatever.  What was I going to do in a strange city by myself? Well after thinking about it and realizing I was afraid to be on my own, I decided I had to go. So I did some research and found some things I was interested in doing. and some things that we could choose to do the first day we got there. (We had some free tie the first day.)

This was not something i usually do, research that is. I tell myself I like to just wing it but really that is not the truth. I think I have just been relying on William to plan things for us instead of taking an active role. Yet I wanted to take a new role, so I found 3 places that looked like stuff we like to do, 2 museums and a zoo, and I found a few things I like doing, nail places, shopping, and an old cemetery.

We went on Saturday and chose one of the places I researched on the way there. We went to the Crocker Museum. It was wonderful! We were able to walk there from the hotel and spent almost 3 hours looking at an enormous amount and variety of art from lathed wooden bowls to modern art. We enjoyed a free happy hour with William's conference workers. Then we went out that night with a work friend and the people she was collaborating with at the conference, and had a great time.

The next day, Sunday,William went to work and I went to get a mani/pedi. I got there early and was able to get both at the same time. Wow, that was like being a queen!! Loved it!  I got pizza at a great dive that was a bar/pizza place. Tequila and pizza, a great combo!! Then I visited William and his lunch and was off to the cemetery. I spent almost 2 hours walking around and taking pictures to share with William. It was an older cemetery with plot dating to the middle 1800's. Loved it too!!

Monday William worked for half the day, and I walked around a tourist section of the city. It was silly but enjoyable. I bought an awesome 3000 piece puzzle (we like puzzles, and the biggest one we've done was 2500 pieces so new challenge) and mini-donuts. After visiting William at his lunch and checking out, I found a local burger joint. Loved it!  By that time, William was done and we drove home.

All in all, it was a great self-directed time for me. I was able to spend time with William when he was available and do fun stuff for and by me. I am so glad that I decided to challenge myself and do something that was really new for me. We enjoyed the weekend together instead of being hundreds of miles apart and only getting a few moments on the phone here and there.

I learned that things are not always what I think they will be and good can come from the unexpected and unexplored.

2 comments:

  1. Small steps of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think that is the key to change, one step at a time.
    Thank you for your comment! I so appreciate when someone takes the time to write a comment. :)

    ReplyDelete