Monday, May 5, 2014

Do You Say "I Don't Know"?


"I don't know."

How many times do you say this without even thinking first? It has been a go to response for me for years. I think I do it because I either don't care or I am unsure of what to say right away, and I think I will look weird if I don't respond right away. These things have clearly been depression.

Thinking about that today, it's bugging me. I don't like when people think I am incompetent yet I go ahead and say that which obviously says I am being incompetent. Depression allows me to act in ways that when talking about that characteristic in others bothers me.

My thought is to allow myself to slow down in my responses and think an answer through clearly. Now I do realize that I do not know everything and it is okay to admit it, but it will not sit well with me if I knee jerk a response of "I don't know."  To form new patterns, I plan to not answer with the same response. So if I am not sure about anything, I will be honest and say that I am not sure and then offer a thought I have about the situation.

Depression feeds on my insecurity and I want to starve my depression so I want to address this aspect of my insecurity (and all other aspects as they come up.)

So do use this response also?

Hope all is well in your part of the world! Hugs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment