Sunday, March 15, 2015

Something New

Image result for brains



I have been "trying" to fix my problem for several years now and my amazing supportive husband kept pointing out to me that something was missing. I was not addressing something. I kept and still attempt some things that really don't take a good look at what is missing and addressing it.

My husband found this great article about writing for math and science learning. Why mention this? The link below is to that article.

http://www.edutopia.org/blog/writing-executive-function-brain-research-judy-willis

The following is an excerpt from that article.

During the school years, especially from ages 8-18, the most rapid phase of maturation is taking place in the prefrontal cortex. This is a critical time during which the brain is developing the individual's executive functions. These include judgment, critical analysis, induction, deduction, delay of immediate gratification for long-term goals, recognition of relationships (symbolism, conceptualization), prioritizing, risk assessment, organization, creative problem solving. There are also emotional aspects to executive function, including the ability to identify one's emotional state, exert emotional self-control, and reflect about emotional response choices.


How the Brain Stores Information

There is an involuntary information intake filter that determines what sensory input is accepted into the brain. Input must also pass through an emotional filter, the amygdala, where the destination of that information is determined. When stress is high, the intake filter selectively admits information related to perceived threat, virtually ignoring other sensory input. The high stress state also directs the amygdala switching station to conduct information to the lower, reactive brain, where long-term retrievable memories cannot be formed. In addition, the behavioral outputs of the lower brain are limited to fight (act out), flight (self-entertainment sometimes misinterpreted as ADHD), or freeze (zone out).


Having checked out at 8 due to my reaction, my "high stress" to my parent's shit, I was not really available to do a good deal of work on the above described maturation.  Some parts I do show some examples of, but others, it seems like not at all. So really how the hell do I go from here to create something that would spark this sort of mental & physical growth? I am stuck mostly and have been for a while.

The other day I came up with something and have been doing it even since. Math. Yes, you read that right, I do mean math and not meth.  It occurred to me that I lack skills that practicing math might help me to learn. I have been trying to bring up the feelings I have when my brain goes to the lower, reactive part and then I try to solve a math problem, both on paper or by doing mental math.

It has been a couple of days, and it has been really interesting in that I find myself wanting to so it. Math makes me think in ways I do not think about much in other places.

How can I solve a problem easier?
What other ways could I solve this problem?
What patterns are in this problems that I can use to make this easier to solve?
What information can I use that I already have to figure out his problem?

This is the kind of thinking I want to have across the board in my life. So for now I am going to practice math and see what happens.

Do you like math? Have you ever considered what math can teach?

Thanks for stopping by!! Love to hear your thoughts about this or anything really. :)

HUGS!!

2 comments:

  1. Reading your latest entry I realize you are a very deep person. Much deeper than me. I find it a little hard to follow this post at times but I think I follow it enough to comment.
    Yes I have done math. Right now it is Sudoku that I get all involved with. It is not really math but I think it appeals to me the same way. If you are doing math like in physics, then I am really impressed. That I know little about.
    The math I did was while I was a machinist for 6 years. I really enjoyed it. Often I would calculate different depths and 'indexing points' (percise movements taking into account the size of the tool you are using.) that were not needed. Or figuring out X-Y positions for a precise circle pattern for other workers in the shop. Simply because I wanted to see if I could. I bought problems home with me and would try to figure them out with my daughter (who is very good at math)
    So the math I did was trig based. I eventually had to quit the machining trade because I got a manager who was into harassment (eventually had charges laid but I was gone by then).
    I have also done scripting and computer programming. Scripting is very basic programming that automates things on your computer. It is similar to math and may be something you would enjoy too.
    Reading this I begin to see you had a very rough childhood. I feel for you. Jules, your posts seem brighter, even though the content is very serious and black. I am not talking about the words you write, but the feel behind the writing. I hope this not something that I am reading into your posts because I so want you to feel better. I do hope that you are finding your way back.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience with math. It seems like math has been a fairly big part of your life. I do not know, but I don't think many people are as involved in math as you have been throughout your life.

      I appreciate your sympathy for me, yet the interesting thing is that I mostly had a good childhood. My parents created many great experiences for me growing up, like snow skiing, water skiing, gymnastics, cheer leading, Girl Scouts, summer camps. vacations, and more. The sad thing is that I got to do all those great things, but because of how I chose to deal with it, I never really was present fully to have the experiences. I was always worrying about things not being okay yet was always trying to "make things okay".

      This attitude towards life and a very skewed grasp on reality led me to make some decisions about how I am suppose to act in life and then how "life" is supposed be. It is really the combination of all these things that has put me where I am now.

      Wow long reply huh? Once again thank you leaving your very thoughtful comments. And I think you are a very deep person. You contemplate life, your own and other's and to me, that makes you a deep thoughtful person.

      Take care!

      Delete