Saturday, April 11, 2015

Unexpected Side Effects




Opportunities in life to rethink things come from odd places sometimes. I have not always been willing or able to look around and see what was right in front of my face that might help me grow. But recently, I have been making the effort to look and see, if I can.

So, recently, we got a puppy, and I am finding that having him around has made me question some things.

Having a puppy is a lot of work. :) Work I am happy to do yet it requires time to do. But I have many other goals, obligations, chores, and hobbies that I want to be involved in and with. We already have a dog, and 6 cats, a house, and a little over an acre land to maintain. (Plus full time jobs with voluntarily over time, and of course a marriage to keep thriving) And, I love to paint, sew, garden, and read. So I began to think. How can I accomplish these things and still give the time to our new puppy?

Two things happened as a result from this thinking.

The first thing was that I began to challenge my own thinking. I have had a fixed mindset and have thought that certain things could only be done at certain times, but time has become short lately. Yet I am not satisfied with not getting things done that I want to get done. Thus, I began to see that I could accomplish what I needed to at new times. So I began to vacuum the house on a week night, do laundry whenever I can, basically, when I find a moment, I try to accomplish something in order to get one more thing off my list (like dust, laundry, etc.) or satisfy something of importance to me (like having sex, exercising, painting, etc.).  Okay so that's the first thing that happened.

The second thing was that I began to feel a sense of urgency to accomplish. Getting another dog to be responsible for has shown me the necessity for using time as wisely as possible. It seems a little weird that after 1 dog and 6 cats, plus all that other stuff listed above, that adding another dog would add the urgency that I am now feeling but it did. Currently, I am writing this post and watching "Exodus: Gods and Kings." I guess I just didn't want to figure it out or couldn't for many reasons.

So that is what's been going on with me now. Growing and trying to change--- such an odd and interesting process,

Big hugs and well wishes all around!!

Isn't my puppy cute??!! His name is Indiana Jones, Indy for short.:)

4 comments:

  1. First you are right. Your puppy is very cute. We always had a dog when I was young. And I remember when some of them were puppies. They were scared because they were removed from their home and placed in this new place all alone. With one I sat up long into the night and held him to reassure him. I remember him falling asleep. I would try to set him down and he would awaken. And the process would start again. They are a lot of work and need a lot of training, but they can also be a lot of fun and show you a lot of love.

    Time. Funny they tell us we have more free time now than any other period in history. And yet we all seem to struggle to find enough time to do things. I manage to keep very busy in the evenings and I am often at meetings, not at home. I do work a longer work day than most. So I question this idea of we have more free time. A way back on our sexist world, the ladies stayed home and cleaned the house and cooked. Now with both people working, we have to fit in the household chores when we can. So I am guessing we have less time. Often people have bigger homes than we did years ago. I often wonder if a bigger home is smart?

    So you have written that you are watching Exodus: Gods and Kings. I am religious but have never seen this movie. I know it did not get good reviews but that often does not mean too much. I am curious about what your thoughts on the movie are and what you thought of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been having a wonderful experience with our puppy. He is very quiet and playful, really a pure joy. Yes, we have had to clean up after him and spend time with him and begin to teach him to sit, not bite, etc. But he has not cried at night. I think its a two fold. He is very good-natured, and we provide him with a lot of toys and a nesting place. (When he was younger and in the house, that was a cat create. Now that he is in his garage/outdoor kennel, that is big, soft, fluffy bed.)

    Yes, time is an interesting ponder-able. Living in the year 2015, with all of its technology and opportunities, allows us to do more and get more than ever before, yet it then puts more responsibilities and time takers on us than ever before. I think it comes down to learning how to prioritize and be organized. I am still learning these things, but the more I do these things, the better I feel at the end of the day.

    So about the movie Exodus: Gods and Kings- I thought it was entertaining, a lot of action and drama. It did follow the Biblical story, roughly. In reference to religion, I look at this movie as a story because to me, that is what it is. I am not a Christian; used to be but not any more. I would say that I am not religious, maybe I am spiritual. I believe there is something that connects us all, but not the God that most people believe in. Also, I study literature and to me, the Bible, is a piece of historical fiction. I know, a little crazy and nontraditional.

    Thank you so much for all the thought provoking comments! Take care! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most definitely spiritual. In fact I would have to say you are probably more religious than you think. Religion is not about going to church. A friend once said going to a church does not make you a christian and more than standing in a garage will turn you into a car. You are a thoughtful caring person who ponders life. That is very much what a religious person is.

    It sounds like the puppy is doing great. They really are a joy. A quiet disposition in a puppy is a wonderful thing. Our dogs were never raised to be watchdogs. They naturally did try to protect us, but companionship and love is what we wanted them to give, and what we wanted to give them.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the lovely words about me! 😄

    Yes the puppy s doing great! He a joy and a handful, both expected. I will post more pictures and an update about him soon. We have been very blessed to have two such awesome dogs and a houseful (6) of loving cats. I love going home each day with my husband and spending time with all of our four legged furry babies!

    ReplyDelete